Patagonia photo workshop, 10 – 19 April 2019
Dates 2019 year:
10 – 19 April (guided by Daniel Kordan and Iurie Belegurschi)
Patagonia is a place of magical light. You can encounter the moments of true revelation of nature with a men. Amazing sunsets with lenticular clouds, wilderness of nature and enormous Andes ridge mountains await you in the most beautiful season – Patagonia Autumn. Beautiful red colors frame mountains in April, fresh snow lays between the waterfalls and on tops of diamond peaks, birds are singing in the woods and almost no tourists disturb this serenity. We planned the most amazing locations for you on the tour, so check our itinerary and join:
Day 1 – 10 April
Our Patagonia photography adventure starts in the Argentinean city of El Calafate. It’s known as the gateway to the breathtaking Patagonia. Arrival airport El Calafate (FTE), recommended arrival time will be provided later to the group. You will fly via Buenos Aires by Aerolineas Argentina. You can book this return leg separately on Aerolineas website. Please note that complimentary shuttle will be organized for this recommended time. You are flexible with your flights this day – there are no activities except welcome dinner planned during this day.
Over dinner we’ll start your trip off with a bang, with the very special Cordero Patagonico – a famous dish of Patagonian lamb roasted on a local parilla. There’s no doubt that it’s the best meat we’ve tasted on our photography adventures around the world, so we’re sure you’ll enjoy it too! After dinner we’ll settle in for the night at the hotel.
We visit Perito Moreno in the afternoon til sunset to have a stroll among amazing Patagonia forest with panoramic views towards Perito Moreno glacier. Going back to El Calafate after evening at Perito Moreno for dinner and check in to hotel. Overnight at El Calafate.
After the breakfast in hotel we move towards Torres del Paine national park, located in Chile (5-6 h).
You’ll see many animals on the way, including guanaco, ostrich, armadillo and maybe even puma! As we enter Chile landscapes become more wild and strict with beautiful ridges of Andes on horizon. On the way we may have short stops to meet and greet Patagonia fauna.
Last part of the road (60 km) is gravel, through the inner territories in the park. We check in to our hotel inside the park, have a bit of rest and continue to the sunset location depending on the weather. April is the end of tourist and hikers seasons so you’ll see only photographers in the park.
(B, LB, D)
After the breakfast at hotel we move towards small village El Chalten, located in Argentina. Allow around 3 hours (paved road).
We settle at our hotel in El Chalten for 2 nights. At sunset we have photography session at canyon with stunning panoramic views towards Andean ridge. The Fitz Roy river flowing in bends beneath our feet leading the sight towards towers of Fitz Roy (Chalten) massif.
Before the breakfast we depart to morning photography session to the point with stunning panoramic views towards Andean ridge. The Fitz Roy river flowing in bends beneath our feet leading the sight towards towers of Fitz Roy (Chalten) massif.
At the daytime we explore the Lago Desierto sector with waterfalls and river cascades. Mountains and glaciers will surround us for the full day.
For sunset we pick up one of panoramic points with views of Fitz Roy massif.
After breakfast at our hotel in El Chalten, the group will start the journey toward towards the Torres del Paine national park. We cross the border Argentina-Chile.
As we make our way through the heady scenery and near the peaks of Torres del Paine, with any luck we’ll also see plenty of animals too. A puma or two isn’t unheard of, but much more likely is a photogenic combination of guanaco, ostrich and armadillo.
Nearing the park the landscape will become more wild, and the imperious ridges of the Andes will begin to loom on the horizon. Naturally, we’ll take plenty of time to stop and shoot the local flora and fauna. The last part of today’s journey is made on a gravel road, as we traverse through the inner territories of Torres del Paine.
Inside the park we’ll check in to our hotel. We’ll have a short rest before heading out to our sunset location. The autumn here brings with it the end of the tourist season, so it’s likely that only photographers will be left in the park.
Days 5 – 9
We spend 5 days and 4 nights in the park visiting many beautiful diverse locations. We know area very well, so we will choose photography locations depending on the next day’s weather forecast. Among places to visit (incl at sunsets, sunrises) will be:
– Harbours of Pehoe lake, including stoney bays with variety of foregrounds to choose
– Panoramic view from Explora hotel
– Optional 1-hour hike to Mirador Condor with a stunning 360-view to Cuernos, Paine Towers, Lake Pehoe and Glacier Grey
– Easy hike to the Nordenskjold lake: we’ll see the dead forest on the way and plenty of small bays
– Salto Grande waterfall
– Laguna Amarga with salty edges and high chance to see pink flamingo feeding
– Laguna Azul and wonderful waterfall on the way to the lagoon
– Rio Serrano Sector with wonderful bends of the river, gaucho and horses in the water
One day we depart to lago Grey to the full day excursion to the Grey Glacier. The cruise will take up to 4 hours.
We cross the border back from Chile to Argentina and drive back to El Calafate. Overnight in our hotel at El Calafate.
Day 10, 19 April – departure
Today is the last day of what will be an unforgettable photography adventure in Patagonia. Departure flight is from El Calafate to Buenos Aires, recommended flight by Aerolineas Argentinas around 10:00 a.m. Complimentary airport shuttle will leave hotel at 7:00 a.m. And will be at the airport at 7:30 am
Included in the price:
- Two Professional photo guides.
- Professional driver services
- Professional licensed local guide services
- Transportation in a bus offering ample room for you and your photography gear, all transfers included
- Accommodation in most amazing Patagonia hotels. Twin Rooms with private bathrooms (single with additional single supplement)
- Lago Grey cruise at Torres del Paine park
- All national parks entrance fees
Full board (all meals included!)
Price: 7900 USD
Not included in the price:
– Visas (if applicable)
– Single supplement
What to bring
– DSLR camera with tripod and remote shutter release
– A wide angle lens. For example, Nikkor 14-24 or Canon 16-35. Best lens for use in wide-angle scenes – mountain photography
– A middle-zoom lens such as a 24-70 mm
– A telephoto zoom lens, such as a 70-200 mm
– Waterproof and windproof jacket (consider the average temperatures 0 – 10 C)
– Waterproof pants
– Warm down-jacket and thermal pants
– Casual clothes for dinners and lunches and photography workshops
Full list of recommended wear will be sent to participants.